Standing up for Potatoes on Capitol Hill
NPC’s annual Washington Summit provides a forum for potato industry members to discuss, define, and advocate for the policy priorities impacting their businesses and protecting their ability to farm.
Throughout the week, participants:
- Hear from the nation’s top political and policy experts
- Welcome NPC’s 2022 officers and grower leaders
- Meet with members of Congress representing potato-growing states and districts
- … and unite as an industry in Standing Up for Potatoes on Capitol Hill!
During the 2022 NPC Washington Summit, attendees will advocate for issues such as keeping potatoes in federal nutrition programs, promoting free and fair-trade agreements, and protecting tax policies that support the long-term health of family-owned farming operations.
February 28 – March 3
Washington Marriott at Metro Center
775 12th St NW
The NPC Executive Committee hosted the virtual 2021 Potato D.C. Fly-In, Feb. 24-27, which brought the industry together to fulfill the council’s mission to “Stand Up for Potatoes on Capitol Hill.” The event included a record-breaking 161 growers and industry partners who joined their state potato organizations to visit with 46 Members of Congress to communicate the industry’s policy priorities.
In addition to thanking Members of Congress for their role in supporting family potato growers by directing more than $250 million in federal aid to the industry throughout the coronavirus pandemic, policy priorities included:
- Aggressively pursuing trade opportunities in Mexico, China, Japan, and other TPP countries;
- Including a complete agricultural labor solution in any viable immigration bill that can be enacted during this Congress;
- Strengthening investments in agricultural research and ensuring that healthy, affordable potatoes are treated equitably with other vegetables through the appropriations process; and,
- Enhancing the industry’s competitiveness through reforms of transportation regulations and making necessary investments in roads, commercial seaports and related intermodal facilities in support of our domestic and international shipments.